Marriage Requirements

Marriage Application Requirements

Applicants must apply in person and together.


 $100 paid at the time of application. If paid by debit or credit $103 (includes convenience fee).
 No checks accepted.

Picture ID

Both applicants must show at the time of application a current un-expired valid State issued ID, Drivers License or Resident Alien ID.

Proof of Where You Live

Current un-expired State issued ID, Drivers License or Resident Alien ID with current address or mail (utility bill or government correspondence dated within 30-60 days) with name and street address. Both applicants need to provide proof of where they reside.


Residents of the state must apply in the county in which either applicant is a resident. They may be married in any county of the state. You must have resided in Kenosha County for at least the last 30 days to establish residency as a Kenosha County resident.


Non-Residents of the state must apply in the county in which the marriage ceremony is to be performed. Proof of out-of-state residence must also be submitted.

Birth Certificates

Certified Birth Certificates are required from all applicants, regardless of age. Certified copies can be obtained from the county or state in which one was born. Photocopies, Hospital Certificates or Registration of Birth Record will not be accepted.

Certified Birth Certificates in a foreign language must be translated into English and notarized. Translation must be done from the certified copy by a third uninvolved party and their signature must be notarized. Both the Certified Birth Certificate and the notarized translation must be presented at the time of application.

Certified Birth Certificates need to be in acceptable condition, unaltered, it should not be torn, have holes or tape on it.

Social Security Numbers

Social Security numbers are required.

Divorce Papers / Certified Death Certificate

Divorce Papers or Certified Death Certificate are required if one or both of the applicants have been previously married. They must provide a copy of the court filed stamped with the judge's signature Divorce Judgment, Annulment papers or a Certified Death Certificate from their last marriage. If the marriage ended in divorce, it must be final for a minimum of six months whether the divorce was granted in Wisconsin or elsewhere.

Wedding Officiant

Name, address and phone number of the officiant performing your wedding ceremony is required. Officiant must be at least 18 years old.

"Neither our office nor the State Vital Records Office is able to confirm the legality of a religious officiant. If you have a question about the legality of the officiant you have chosen, you may want to seek legal counsel."