Commercial Permits

Permits and proceduresPermits & Procedures


A zoning permit (PDF) is required when a structure or part thereof is located, erected, moved, reconstructed, extended, enlarged, converted or structurally altered within the unincorporated Towns of Brighton, Paris, Randall, Somers and Wheatland.

New structures and additions to such structures requiring a zoning permit include (list is inconclusive):

  • Commercial, industrial, institutional and recreational buildings
  • Accessory buildings
  • Mobile Tower Siting & Co-Locations
  • Fences (non-agricultural)
  • Signs


To verify that the placement of structures and the use of land are in accordance with the requirements outlined in the Kenosha County General Zoning and Shoreland / Floodplain Zoning Ordinance (PDF).


You must submit a complete Zoning Permit Application (PDF) including a property survey / site plan and submit the appropriate fee based upon the Kenosha County Department of Planning and Development Fee Schedule (PDF). The zoning permit can not be issued for a new commercial, retail, institutional, industrial and manufacturing building or addition thereto until an as-built stormwater facilities review / grading certification has been submitted and approved.


Stormwater Procedures

Ordinance Requirements

Ordinance requirements vary for principal and accessory buildings in commercial districts, depending on the zoning district classification of the property and the type and proximity of any environmental assets.