Today, leadership of Kenosha and Racine counties provided an update on the roadway improvement project for County Highway KR, including providing a timeline of upcoming committee considerations.
“Roadway improvements to County Highway KR remain in the planning stages,” said Kenosha County Executive Jim Kreuser. “Construction will not begin until all necessary levels of local government have considered and approved the planned project.”
Following numerous public hearings, in March 2019, a Plat for the project was completed by the engineering firm and approved by the professional staff of both Kenosha and Racine Counties. Next, the Plats will be considered for approval and adoption by the relevant committees of each County Board, along with the related Relocation Orders. Committee consideration schedules for each County are as follows:
Kenosha County Committee Schedule:
- April 1: Public Works Committee
- April 11: Finance Committee
- April 16: County Board
Racine County Committee Schedule:
- April 25: Joint Executive and Public Works, Parks & Facilities Committees
- May 7: County Board 1st reading
- May 14: County Board 2nd reading
“Public input has been and will continue to be important throughout this process,” said Racine County Executive Jonathan Delagrave. “Committee consideration of the prepared plats and relocation orders will provide even more opportunity for resident participation.”
If Relocation Orders are approved and filed, the process for affected properties is as follows:
- Every occupant of every property where a displacement will occur will be interviewed by a specialist in that subject.
- A Relocation Plan will be prepared and submitted to the Wisconsin Department of Administration (WDOA) for approval. Until approval is given, no negotiations can take place.
- Appraisals will be prepared for each acquisition, whether complete or partial.
- When appraisals are completed, initial offers can be made by the agents for each County. This can occur only after the Relocation Plan is approved by WDOA.
- Once the initial offer is made, negotiations may begin.
This relocation process is not anticipated to become active until June, at the earliest.
To learn more about the County Highway KR project, please visit https://projects.511wi.gov/fdr/full-project-overview/.