News Flash Home
The original item was published from 4/21/2017 11:33:44 AM to 4/21/2018 8:05:02 PM.

News Flash

Veterans News

Posted on: April 21, 2017

[ARCHIVED] Employment services are available for disabled veterans

For veterans with service-connected disabilities so severe that they cannot immediately consider work, the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E) Program offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

The VR&E Program, sometimes referred to as Chapter 31 or Voc-Rehab, is designed to help veterans with service-connected disabilities and barriers to employment prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs.

The following services may be provided by VR&E:

Comprehensive rehabilitation evaluation to determine abilities, skills, interests, and needs.

Vocational counseling and rehabilitation planning.

Employment services such as job-seeking skills, resume development, and other work readiness assistance.

Assistance finding and keeping a job, including the use of special employer incentives.

On the Job Training (OJT), apprenticeships, and non-paid work experiences.

Financial assistance for post-secondary training at a college, vocational, technical or business school.

Supportive rehabilitation services including case management, counseling, and referral.

Independent living services.

Subsistence Allowance - In addition to receiving a monthly payment while attending training through VR&E, veterans may also qualify for a monthly subsistence allowance. This is paid each month during training and is based on the rate of attendance (full-time or part-time), the number of dependents, and the type of training. For example, a full-time attendee with two dependents could receive up to $881.91 a month.

Referral to other resources may include state vocational rehabilitation programs, Department of Labor employment programs for disabled veterans, state, federal or local agencies providing services for employment or small business development, internet-based resources for rehabilitation and employment, and information about applying for financial aid.

You may be eligible for VR&E due to having a service-connected disability rating, yet not be entitled to services. The first step in the VR&E process is to be evaluated to determine if you qualify for services. To receive an evaluation for VR&E services, a veteran must meet the following "eligibility" criteria:

Have received, or will receive, a discharge that is other than dishonorable.

Have a service-connected disability rating of at least 10%.

Apply through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

If you believe that you may be eligible for VR&E services, you can get started today by contacting your Kenosha County Veterans Services Officer Ali Nelson at 262-605-6690 located 8600 Sheridan Road, Kenosha.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Veterans News